'The Bling Ring' Made $2 Million In Just 650 Theaters Over The Weekend; Here Are 5 Gifs To Celebrate
By Staff Writer | June 24, 2013 02:50 PM EDT
Sophia Coppola directed The Bling Ring, based on a Nancy Jo Sales article in Vanity Fair called "The Suspects Wore Louboutins."
With Emma Watson starring as the vain, amoral narrator, Nicky, audiences flocked to see the story of the infamous kids who broke into the homes of Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Rachel Bilson, Megan Fox and Orlando Bloom.
Like Us on Facebook
For her part, Watson was playing against type after portraying the goody-two-shoes Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter book adaptations to the large screen.
And for Watson--who hated her character with a passion--it was a chance to stretch herself as an actress after the comfort of her earlier roles.
She told GQ in their May issue before the movie opened:
"The character is everything I felt really strongly against - she's superficial, materialistic, vain, amoral.
"She's all of these things and I realized that I hated her. How do you play someone you hate?
"But I found it really interesting and it gave me a whole new insight into what my job or my role as an actress could be."
It also doesn't hurt that while Watson is playing a fictional character, she's inhabiting that character's dressing style, which was provocative, and her attitude, equally as sensuous and bit more tawdry in the film than Watson is comfortable with normally.
Also, the Coppola cast a group of largely unknowns to support Watson, including Katie Change, Israel Broussard, Claire Julien, and others, plus Leslie Mann (Judd Apatow's wife) and Gavin Rossdale (married to Gwen Stefani).
So, keep an eye out for Watson and the others in our five gifs to help prepare you for what is sure to be an entertaining 90 minutes at the multiplex next weekend.
5) Talking on the phone is so passé, but texting appears to be something the Bling Ring crew rather enjoys. Here's a quick snapshot of Watson's character doing just that even while at the club. Gotta update Facebook somehow.
4) Continuing that phone-centric logic, the "selfie" or self picture has a long tradition with the vapid men and women portrayed in this film. Unfortunately, there are a lot of these people still around, you can usually spot them paying little attention to what's going on around them while they snap photos of themselves.
3) Scoping Paris Hilton's house using Google. Ingenious, and also sort of scary if you're a celebrity. But that's all in the past now. Still, the Bling Ring has to find the celebrities they want to rob somehow, so why not Google?
2) Blinging out montage right before it all comes crumbling down. It's interesting to watch them loot the celebrities of clothing and jewelry, but equally as fascinating to watch these teenage divas squirm a bit once they police catch on to them.
1) Emma Watson, bless her heart, might not like her character Nicky very much, but hundreds of thousands of Harry Potter fanboys who have grown along with Watson. will probably go see this movie for this scene alone. Enjoy!
Here's the trailer in its entirety:
© 2014 KpopStarz. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Tagged : world news
Latest Photo Gallery
Editorial 11.20.14 | 07:16AM EST
Taeyang and G-Dragon are ready to prove they can each be a ‘Good Boy’ even though fans loved when they wanted to be seen as the ‘Bad Boy.’
Hot Issues 11.19.14 | 10:39PM EST
American Dancer Brian Puspos Calls Out YG Entertainment For Using His Choreography But Not Hiring Him Directly
The U.S.-based choreographer playfully suggested that YG Entertainment was "cutting corners" for not hiring him to teach his routine to the members of iKON.
Oversea Event 11.19.14 | 08:20AM EST
2PM gave an awesome performance for their first American tour show at Newark's Prudential Center.
Comeback / Teaser / Music Video 11.19.14 | 07:45AM EST
Other than the release date, little is known about MBLAQ's next project, but the news comes after 2 members revealed they have not yet renewed contracts with J.Tune.