News / Main / Hot Issue

IOI Fans in total outrage after BLACKPINK wins 'Best New Artist' in 2016 Melon Music Awards

By Carlo Rodriguez | November 24, 2016 08:06 AM EST

The 2016 Melon Music Awards definitely drew in all the attention but apparently, it also drew in quite the drama. It's been a tough few days for the EXO fans out there who felt rather disappointed that their bias didn't take home Album of the Year (the award went to BTS instead), but it would seem that fans of I.O.I are also in outrage after their favorite girl group lost the Best New Artist award to BLACKPINK.

Truly the Melon Music Awards was a night filled with explosive performances, victors and even disappointments. Netizens and fans are now accusing Melon for manipulating the results of the awards show in favor of BLACKPINK when in fact they believe that the award should've gone to I.O.I instead.

According to Koreaboo, a lot of people have considered I.O.I as the frontrunner to take home the Best Rookie award and have been highly favored as they have dominated both digital and music sales. They also considered the many music show wins and most especially, the polls before the broadcast of the awards show where I.O.I took first spot with 46% of the total votes while NCT 127 came in second place with only 17%. BLACKPINK lags in third place with 14% of votes.

If one would base on the guidelines set by the awards show, digital sales would account for 70% of the entire criteria while the remaining 30% would be determined by the online votes, Allkpop reports. In both of these categories, I.O.I is shown as the clear winner as they have scored higher than the YG rookie group.

Not only that, fans are also disappointed with the fact that I.O.I only got to perform in 4 minutes while BLACKPINK got to perform double I.O.I's time.

Unfortunately for I.O.I, BLACKPINK would go on to win the Best New Artist award. South Korean immediately reported about the issue. In defense of BLACKPINK, fans said that the group is just as deserving as the girl group also had several hits this year along with a certified all-kill status on several music charts and even ranking in international charts as well. The group had ranked in the Billboard World Digital Songs chart with their singles "Boombayah" which topped the whole chart and "Whistle" coming in second.

Here's to hoping that this issue would get cleared up soon before it dies down.

Tagged :  ioi, YMC Entertainment, Melon Music Awards, 2016 melon music awards, BLACKPINK, YG Entertainment, Best Rookie, rookie, kpop, music

Featured

11.22.17 | 03:18PM EST

SF9 'BE MY FANTASY' Tour Live in Boston

The 'Knights of the Sun' idols fulfilled fantasies during the last stop of their 'BE MY FANTASY' tour in Boston on November 19, 2018.

Oversea Event 11.01.17 | 08:34AM EDT

Wanna One to Meet Their Fans in Malaysia through Wanna One 1st Fan Meeting in Kuala Lumpur “Wanna Be Loved”

Wanna One to Meet Their Fans in Malaysia through
Wanna One 1st Fan Meeting in Kuala Lumpur “Wanna Be Loved”

11.03.17 | 07:56AM EDT

WANNA-ONE Meets The Press And Fans In Singapore [PHOTOS]

WANNA-ONE Meets The Press And Fans In Singapore [PHOTOS]

Real Time Analytics