News / Headlines / Breaking News

Big Hit Entertainment Beats Out YG In 2015 Album Sales Rankings

By Kevin Fox | April 05, 2016 01:09 AM EDT

A ranking list of the top ten Korean entertainment companies with the most album sales in 2015 has been released, showing the industry's top players.

Coming in the No. 1 position with 3.3 million albums sold is SM Entertainment, leading in terms of both sales and market share. 

However, the No. 2 position was snagged by Big Hit Entertainment, home of popular male idol group BTS. Big Hit sold a total of 563,000 albums in 2015, only 20,000 more than the No. 3 company, YG Entertainment. 

Although Big Hit's only main moneymaker is BTS, YG Entertainment has a wide roster of established idol groups, which makes the sales results even more surprising. 

The No. 4 and 5 spots were held by JYP Entertainment and FNC Entertainment, respectively. The difference between the two was extremely small, with only 8,000 albums separating them. 

The other spots on the list were held by SM C&C (a subsidiary of SM Entertainment), Jellyfish Entertainment, Cube Entertainment, and Pledis Entertainment. 

The combined total of those nine companies constitute 84 percent of the total amount of albums sold. The other 16 percent is made of smaller companies.

In total, 7.2 million albums were sold in 2015.

According to the chart, the company with the most market share is SM, with a whopping 45 percent of the entire K-pop album industry. SM's most popular boy group EXO sold as many copies as the entire "other" category on the list.

Tagged :  SM, big hit, yg, JYP, FNC, sm c&c, Jellyfish, CUBE, pledis, album, sales, list, 2015, ranking, BTS, EXO

Featured

11.22.17 | 03:18PM EST

SF9 'BE MY FANTASY' Tour Live in Boston

The 'Knights of the Sun' idols fulfilled fantasies during the last stop of their 'BE MY FANTASY' tour in Boston on November 19, 2018.

Oversea Event 11.01.17 | 08:34AM EDT

Wanna One to Meet Their Fans in Malaysia through Wanna One 1st Fan Meeting in Kuala Lumpur “Wanna Be Loved”

Wanna One to Meet Their Fans in Malaysia through
Wanna One 1st Fan Meeting in Kuala Lumpur “Wanna Be Loved”

11.03.17 | 07:56AM EDT

WANNA-ONE Meets The Press And Fans In Singapore [PHOTOS]

WANNA-ONE Meets The Press And Fans In Singapore [PHOTOS]

Real Time Analytics