The court ruled in favor of Lai Guan Lin, finally ending the lawsuit after two years.
Lai Guan Lin Wins Lawsuit Against Cube Entertainment
On June 17 KST, the Seoul Central District Court, presided over by Chief Judge Lee Gi Seon, has announced that it ruled in favor of Lai Guan Lin in his lawsuit against Cube Entertainment.
The court said in a statement, "We confirm that the exclusive contract between the plaintiff and the defendant is invalid," formally concluding the lawsuit between the two parties after almost two years.
Lai Guan Lin also shared the news on his official Instagram account. He shared two pictures of the court's ruling - one in Korean and the other in Mandarin, along with the caption, "Thank you. I will show you a better image in the future."
Back on July 20, 2019, it was reported that Lai Guan Lin, a former member of Wanna One, had requested to terminate his exclusive contract with Cube Entertainment by filing a certification of contents. Following his request to terminate his exclusive contract with the agency, reports stated that Lau Guan Lin was pursuing activities independently
In his request, Lai Guan Lin presented claims that he had signed an exclusive contract with the agency on July 25, 2017, and that Cube Entertainment had transferred his exclusive management rights without the artist's permission or from his family to a third-party Chinese agency, Tajo Entertainment, in July 2018.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: Staff Member Exposes Former Wanna One Lai Kuanlin's True Character
Later in the same year on November, Lai Guan Lin's lawsuit against Cube Entertainment was dismissed by the Seoul Central District Court, stating that they find inadequate evidence for the exclusive contract between the two parties to be nullified.
Following the court's dismissal, Lai Guan Lin then filed an appeal, which was also turned down. Instead, the Seoul Central District Court had ordered both Lai Guan Lin and Cube Entertainment to resolve their issues through mediated discussion.
Just last month, on May 2021, it was reported that Cube Entertainment and Lai Guan Lin had failed to come to an agreement regarding the contract termination and legal dispute. As a result, a final trial hearing was held by the Seoul Central District Court regarding the case, in which a ruling would be provided by the jury on the premise of the primary objective of the plaintiff - Lai Guan Lin's case.
Neither a representative from Cube Entertainment nor Lai Guan Lin were present at the final trial hearing.
YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN: These Female K-Pop Idols Deserve to Make Their Solo Debut
Cube Entertainment Releases Statement on Court Ruling
Following the ruling of the Seoul Central District Court, Cube Entertainment announced that they will not be filing an appeal on the ruling. The agency said, "We apologize that we didn't fully communicate with the person concerned and resolve the misunderstanding regarding the dispute. We will respect the court's decision and will not file an appeal."
Cube Entertainment also apologized for causing concern to many people and will be cheering for Lai Guan Lin's future activities.
For more K-Pop news and updates, always keep your tabs open here on KpopStarz.
KpopStarz owns this article.
Written by Robyn Joan